20 Georgia Schools Win a Live Dance Party Hosted by Radio Disney AM 590 Courtesy of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia
January 29, 2013
ATLANTA—Jan. 29, 2013—Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia (BCBSGa) today announced the winners of the Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge. An effort between BCBSGa and Radio Disney AM 590, Get Active, Get Fit is designed to motivate kids and families to achieve fitness together by engaging in fun activities. In order to successfully complete the challenge, students had to be active for a minimum of 40 of the 55 days during the event, which ran from Oct. 1, 2012 through Nov. 24, 2012.
The 20 schools with the highest percentage of participation in the program have won a live dance party at their school hosted by Radio Disney AM 590. Five schools that completed the challenge were awarded new gym equipment packages valued at $500 through a random drawing.
“The true purpose of Get Active, Get Fit is to get kids up off of the couch, and outside playing and being active,” said Morgan Kendrick, president, BCBSGa. “We are pleased with the large number of children who participated and hope that programs like this can show kids how easy it can be to make a healthy, active lifestyle part of their daily routine.”
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 17 percent (or 12.5 million) of children and adolescents aged 2—19 years are obese. Since 1980, obesity prevalence among children and adolescents has nearly tripled.
In 2012, the event’s third year in Georgia, more than 48,000 students at 81 elementary schools participated. Nearly 384,000 students nationwide signed up to participate in this year’s Get Active, Get Fit School Challenge in Colorado, Georgia, Maine, New Hampshire, Ohio, Upstate New York, Virginia and Wisconsin.
Here is the list of the schools that won a Radio Disney dance party and the cities/counties where they are located:
• Bethlehem Elementary School, Bethlehem
• Edgewood Elementary School, Columbus
• Hannan Magnet Elementary Academy, Columbus
• Hickory Hills Elementary School, Marietta
• Jasper Elementary School, Jasper
• Kemp Primary School, Hampton
• Kennesaw Charter Science and Math Academy, Kennesaw
• Marlow Elementary School, Guyton
• Mildred E. Freeman Elementary School, Warrenton
• Putnam County Elementary School, Eatonton
• Roy E. Rollins Elementary School, Augusta
• Samuel E. Hubbard Elementary School, Forsyth
• Sand Hill Elementary School, Carrollton
• Social Circle Elementary School, Social Circle
• Social Circle Primary School, Social Circle
• St. Marys Magnet Academy, Columbus
• Stonewall Tell Elementary School, College Park
• Unity Grove Elementary School, Locust Grove
• Whitesburg Elementary School, Whitesburg
• Wilkinson County Elementary School, Irwinton
The five elementary schools that won $500 worth of gym equipment through a random drawing are:
• Gum Springs Elementary School, Jefferson
• Kemp Primary Elementary School, Hampton
• Mountain View Elementary School, Manchester
• Providence Elementary School, Temple
• Unity Grove Elementary School, Locust Grove
About Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia, Inc. and Blue Cross Blue Shield Healthcare Plan of Georgia, Inc. are independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association®. The Blue Cross and Blue Shield names and symbols are registered marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association. Additional information about Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia is available at www.bcbsga.com. Also, follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/BCBSGaPR on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HealthJoinInBCBSGa, visit our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/healthjoinin or check out the Our Health Connects Us campaign site at http://connects.bcbsga.com/.
About Radio Disney Radio Disney is the #1, 24-hour radio network devoted to kids, tweens and families. Kids help pick the music that is played and are encouraged to interact via a toll-free phone line to the Radio Disney studio. The network's current playlist, driven by listener requests and representing major record labels, includes recording artists Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, One Direction, Katy Perry, Cody Simpson, Carly Rae Jepsen and Cher Lloyd. The network is available on 31 owned terrestrial radio stations and is also available via RadioDisney.com, Sirius XM satellite radio on channel 79, iTunes Radio Tuner, mobile phones, the Radio Disney iPhone and Android Apps, and the Radio Disney Facebook page.
Ph: (404) 479-8735